Monday, August 13, 2012

Getting antsy

I thought that the wait for placements was complete agony!  Now that I am absolutley certain of where I have been placed and what I will be doing for 8 months, I'm as anxious as ever.  As I posted recently my visa was approved and returned to me.  I also have my plane ticket purchased, and I have even packed my suitcase.  Now these last few weeks have been moving at a snail's pace.  I am fully aware that I will not be in the States much longer, but each day drags on.  That being said, my departure is in clear sight.
 
Over the last weekend I have had the honor of performing with the company of DCT's Hairspray.  We had three sold-out performances and will most likely continue the lucky streak this coming weekend.  I can't express what a wonderful experience this show has been.  It's great to work with established coleagues as well as new faces.  I did my first show at the Campus Theatre exactly 10 years ago, and it's really what got me hooked on acting.  Before I had only done theatre as a child.  I truly owe my identity as a person to the theatre scene here in Denton and the people who make it so vibrant.  I would not be the same Tyler without this community.  So it's been a bittersweet experience.  I know that after Hairspray I may not ever perform on this stage again, but I have 10 years of life-changing experiences to look back on.
The Campus Theatre in Downtown Denton


  Marquee for our production (Photo by Jessica Cope)

Publicity poster


Interior of the beautiful historic Campus Theatre, my home away from home


The Nicest Kids in Town (all Hairspray photos by Michael C. Foster)


Corny and the fun-loving, free-wheeling Brenda

The Madison


The newest addition to the team


The title number


Look at that beautiful jacket (designed by Marcus Lopez and constructed by Marsha Keffer)

So that's what I've been up to for the last few weeks.  I'm not ready to let go just yet, but I know that this weekend will fly by.  Gotta enjoy it while I can.  Next up is The Most Happy Fella at Lyric Stage.  This company is also near and dear to my heart as I have been doing shows with them for over 5 years.  They really do know how to put on a show with beautiful sets, large casts, skilled directors and an amazing musical director who always presents the shows with 35+ piece orchestras.  I have a feeling that the rehearsal for this show will once again be a very short 4 weeks.  I've gotta enjoy it while it's here.  

So now I just have to survive 19 more days of work, and I'm off!  My life is going to be turned upside down.  I've been at my current place of employment for the last 8 years (yes I had just turned 20), and this is bascially all I know.  Additionally Texas is all I know.  Granted I have been very lucky to travel quite a bit, but I have always lived in Texas.  I've been in Denton for 11 years now, and it's definitely my home.  Looking forward to this move to Palma, but it's definitely going to uproot my whole life.  I'm not complaining, mind you.  I'm just fully aware that my life as I know it will never exist again.  It's such a hard thing to grasp, but I'm sure I'll be ready for a change come the 26th of September.
..............

Now for Spain!!!  I've obviously been doing more research on my living options and the surrounding areas over the past few weeks.  Could I be any luckier?  Mallorca is a beautiful island that has both beautiful landscapes and modern living side by side.  While researching Palma I found an attraction that I must visit.  Las Cuevas del drach (The Caves of the Dragon) have me so intrigued.  The caves are home to an underground lake that is simply otherwordly.  Musicians ride through the lake underground and play mini-concerts throughout the day.  How weird and fun!  I can't wait!

Las cuevas del drach

Also I think I will be in Spain for the premieres of two highly-anticipated moves: Pedro Almodóvar's Los amantes pasajeros and Paco Plaza's [REC]4 Apocalipsis.  Being a film nut I couldn't be happier to see these films in their country of origin.  YAY!  Well, now I guess I'm just spinning my wheels, but I felt like I had to write something to document the long wait.  Hopefully the 26th of September will be here before I know it. :)

Un beso,
Tyler from Texas
  



No comments:

Post a Comment