Thursday, July 5, 2012

Follow-up

OK!  So it's been a while since I've posted anything.  It's kinda slow going waiting for more info from Spain.  Still haven't received a city/school placement letter from the Balearic Islands, although they have sent una carta de nombramiento that outlines my dates and compensation.  It's better than nothing.  More on that in a second. 

In June I finished my masters coursework here in Denton, TX at the University of North Texas.  Glad to report that I'll be finishing with a 4.0!  Hopefully I can get a little break from the academic world before starting my PhD.  Now I've just gotta finish that pesky thesis while I'm in Spain.  Also, I've been performing quite a bit.  Just finished Oklahoma! at Lyric Stage and immediately started rehearsals to play Corny Collins in Hairspray at the Campus Theatre in Denton.  Both casts have been so much fun, and it's making the time pass quickly while I'm waiting on news from Spain.  (You know they move at their own pace.)  Additionally I'll be joining the cast of The Most Happy Fella at Lyric playing the role of Pasquale.  I'm extremely honored to be part of the cast.  Also stoked that the majority of my songs/lines are in Italian!  Soooooo that's what's been keeping me busy this summer.
On the far left in the number "Kansas City" from Oklahoma!.  No need to be jealous of the awesome facial hair.  You too can grow your very own creepy beard. (Photo by Michael C. Foster


Our cute promo poster for Hairspray

Now it's back to "real life."  Back to working 40 hours a week and saving for Spain.  Luckily this week is a 4-day week thanks to the holiday on the 4th.  Next week will also be a 4-day week as I will be in Houston on Monday for my visa application.  My awesome brother lives in Houston so we're gonna make a weekend of it.  Going down on Saturday morning (after a birthday celebration on the 6th with my Denton folks) and hoping to get a grand tour of H-town.  As for the visa, it's been extremely difficult finding exactly what the consulate in Houston requires, and I've gotta give a special shout out to all my Facebook friends who have helped me through the process.  Without them I wouldn't be very well prepared.  So now I think I've got all my documents, forms, photos, cash etc., and I'll be ready to hand it over.  I'll make sure to follow-up with a separate post to update y'all on how the process goes.  I expect it to go well, but ya never know!  

I've been packing up my place to move out by the end of the month.  Luckily I've found a room to rent for the buffer time between the end of this lease and my flight to Spain.  My place is a little bare at the moment, but I've got a TV, AC and a toilet.  What more could I need?  Just waiting it out now.  Glad to say that I've paid off all my debts (except school loans) and can now actually save money for my trip.  I'm stoked!  Now I'm just gonna need awesome companies like Scream Factory to stop coming out with new Blu-Ray releases so that I don't spend everything I make! 


Don't even act like you could pass up these sweet releases

So I guess I'll wrap this motha up with a few random thoughts:
1)  I hope to never take another linguistics/phonetics class for the remainder of my stay on this planet.  It's a painful experience.
2)  Pixar's Brave was a completel letdown.  I wanted to leave the theatre about 15 minutes into the movie.  Guess they can't all be winners.
3)  Prometheus was a really fun movie.  Definitely watch this one in 3D.  Usually I think that 3D is gimmicky (not that there's anything wrong with that), but this movie used the technology to its fullest potential.
4)  Never leave me alone (or with Clay White) at Red Lobster.  There will be no food left.
5)  The Amazing Spider-Man was a blast.  Never really warmed up to the Toby Maguire series so this was a winner.  Dennis Leary looks like a 70 year-old woman, but I still enjoyed his performance.  Sally Fields is still awesome.  Andrew Garfield... Hommina hommina hommina!  *stuffs tongue back in mouth* 
6)  My 28th birthday is tomorrow.  I've never been so excited about a birthday because I'm finally back on track.  I've not felt this hopeful about my future since I was in elementary school, and I feel like the luckiest guy in the world to be who I am and where I am. 
yes


Un beso,
Tyler from Texas
     

No comments:

Post a Comment