Thursday, May 24, 2012

Top 10 Things I'm Gonna Miss

OK, I know I'm incredibly lucky to be moving to Spain in the fall, but I can't say that I won't miss a lot of things I have in my life here.  So here are the top 10 things I'm gonna miss... and how I'm gonna deal with it.

1) Flip flops - How could I not?  Flip flops are worn throughout the States almost year-round.  I have to admit there's not a freer feeling than putting on a pair of flip flops and enjoying some warm weather.  HOWEVER I hear that Europeans don't wear them too much.  So, not wanting to stick out more than I already will, I may have to forgo my love of flip flops. 

In place of flips flops I've bought some really great Pumas that allow your feet to breath.  They're a heavy mesh that covers your feet but keep them cool at the same time.  I think that's a pretty great compromise!

2)  My Blu-Ray / DVD collection - *sigh* I'm a movie nut and have well over 1,000 Blu-Rays and DVDs.  Sadly I can't take these all with me to Spain so a large portion of them will be left behind.  Luckily my folks are letting me store some of my stuff at their place.  They'll be happily waiting for me when I get back.  I'm sure any kind of disc will be obsolete by then anyway.  HAHA!

I have bought a DVD case that will hold 100 discs, and I have had to carefully pick which movies will be making the trip with me.  Of course I have to take a lot of movies to reference with my thesis (including every single feature film by Almodóvar) as well as movies and TV shows that instantly put me in a great mood (Ab Fab, The Lady Vanishes, Reinas etc). 
3) English - OK, I know I'm almost done with my master's coursework in Spanish and that I'm fluent.  I will have no problem getting around Spain, and I'm really looking forward to perfecting this ability.  Heck, I even wanna learn another language while I'm over there.  Even so, I will definitely miss my own language.  Being able to converse with someone in your native language is not like speaking in a foreign language.  Sometimes there are things you just can't say in a foreign language.  They're so connected with your first language that there's no other way to express it.  I'll sure miss it.

That being said, I will be teaching English during all 8 months of my stay.  Although I won't be able to converse with many people in English, I will be passing on my knowledge and love of the language.  If I can't speak it all the time, I might as well spread it. :)


4) Driving - Those who know me well know that I do very well without a car.  For about 2 years I was car-less, and I was walking and biking EVERYWHERE.  I also learned to deal with our terrible public transportation in Texas.  Even the train systems here are pretty crummy.  But I'll tell ya, know that I have a car again, I love it!  The freedom that it provides is invaluable here in Texas.  Even though gas is pricey, it's definitely lower here than in most other states.  It also helps you clear your mind and relax.  Most importantly it's a nice way to beat the heat during these brutal Texas summers.  GUH!

In Spain I will be walking, biking and using public transportation.  After my love letter to personal transportation, I do have to admit that Europeans have it together in regards to public transportation.  Who needs a car when you can use the subway so easily?  Luckily Palma has a metro system as well as a great bus system.  It'll be much easier than having a car.  Additionally walking and biking will help keep me in shape.  I was in the best shape of my life when I had no car, and I'm looking forward to that again.


5) Amazon and Netflix - I have a huge love for both of these companies.  As I said before, I'm a huge movie buff and these two companies have single-handedly fed my addiction.  I'm very grateful.  As far as I can tell there's no way to transfer my Netflix account in Europe.  Maybe they have some sort of NF equivalent.  As far as Amazon, I know there is Amazon.es, but my comp will only play region 1 DVDs and region A Blu-Ray's so their movies won't do me much good.

But who the heck cares?!  I'll be living in Spain!  If I sit and home and watch movies all day then I'm really missing out on the wonderful country I'm in.  Who needs to spend their money on movies when they can go out and enjoy Mallorca for free?

6) Tex-Mex - Oh it's gonna be rough without my Tex-Mex.  They may have some version of Tex-Mex in Europe, but I can promise you it's not gonna be the same.  Let's not confuse Spanish food with Mexican food or Mexican food with Tex-Mex.  They're all different!  Because of my home state I am forever in love with Tex-Mex, and I don't know if that's ever going to change.

But it's time to step out of my comfort zone.  Spain has a glorious selection of different dishes, and I can't wait to sample them all.  I'll try the weird, the gross, the ugly.  I'm sure it'll all taste wonderful.  Hopefully I'll leave Spain with a deep love for tapas.



7) Theatre - My heart is in the theatre.  Being a shy kid (especially in high school) I really came out of my shell in college when I started performing.  I'm so thankful to the theatre community of the DFW Metroplex (especially both theatre companies in Denton) for teaching me every single thing I know.  Every moment on stage has been an absolute blessing, and leaving that will leave me fairly incomplete.

But they've got theatre in Europe, too. :)  Understatement?  Hopefully I'll get a chance to audition and perform in Spanish (a long-held dream of mine).  At the very least I will be able to see a wealth of great theatre.  Palma has an auditorium which brings in touring shows and concerts.  Additionally a short flight to Barcelona will give me a wealth of theatrical options.  From musicals to drama, Barcelona has them all.  Looking forward to seeing some stuff at the Barcelona Teatre Musical, Teatre Victoria, Teatre Apolo and El Molino.

8) Dr. Pepper - This one might kill me.  I'm gonna miss the elixir of the gods.  It's so commonly available in Texas and almost impossible to find in Europe.  I did a creepy little happy dance when I found it in Oslo on my last vacation.  Even so it doesn't taste like Texan DP.  ;(

Although without DP I may lose a little weight. :)  It's good, but if it's not available there's nothing I can do about it.  I'm sure I'll find something equally addicting in Spain.  Fanta?

9) Friends - I was a loser in high school and didn't have many friends.  That changed completely when I came to college.  I've actually lived in Denton longer than I have lived anywhere else in my life.  Because of that I have made some life-long friends here.   I wish I had a pic with all my hundreds of wonderful friends, but the one above shows you just how close we are.  Really love all the wonderful people who have made my life so much better for being a great friend.

I sure hope I do make some friend in Spain though.  It'll be lonely if I don't.  I'm sure they're very friendly, and I can't wait to find some new buddies to spend my time with.  It'll not only help me learn the language, but it'll make me feel more at home.


10) Family - Well I'm gonna miss my family the most.  My parents and brother are the most important things in the world, and I can't imagine them being halfway across the planet.  We've been like four musketeers all my life, and it'll be my first Christmas away from home, without my family. 

Luckily our planet isn't THAT big.  Planes are wonderful inventions, and I'd love for them to come visit me. *hint hint*  Also I have Skype and can stay in contact with them, as well as my friends.

So as y'all can see, I'll be giving up a lot of things in my life that I'll be sad to live without for 8 months.  Of course I'm not complaining.  What doesn't kill me will make me stronger, and I'm sure I will find 10 more things in Spain I won't want to leave behind when I come back.  Life is good!

Un beso,
Tyler from Texas

 



7 comments:

  1. Well, then there will just have to be care packages of Tex Mex and DP, won't there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, Tyler! I definitely am going to miss amazon the most...which is such a first world problem, but I don't care! I order from there so frequently! Granted, I mainly order books so I'm hoping that my recently purchased Kindle will help me in that regard :-)

    I'm also going to miss my TV shows. I've already bookmarked so many websites that upload shows for people to download. I can't be behind on Grey's Anatomy lol I have watched that show religiously for over 8 years and I'm not about to stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John I will gladly accept shipments of Dr. Pepper!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yari, can you use the Kindle in conjunction with Amazon.es as well? I'd be interested to know. I'm going to have to figure out how to switch my iTunes account to Spain when I'm over there. I'm sure it's not a simple process. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kindle allows you to access the kindle store directly from it, so you'll still be able to download books from the US store using your amazon account. As far as iTunes, I think you'll need another apple ID that is associated to the iTunes store in Spain. I know that when I go into the Spain store, it automatically logs me out of my US account and won't let me purchase anything :-(
      P.S. i added you to the blogroll on my site, hope that's okay!

      Delete
  5. Aww man, I haven't even thought about all the things I'm going to miss, but I know family and friends being half way 'round the world is going to be tough, even for me. And don't get me started on what I'm going to do without HBO Go...Winter is still coming, and True Blood is about to start up again, eek! But you're so right, we can't move all the way to Spain and then shut ourselves indoors watching American TV and movies. I'm definitely going to have to do a post like this, and I hope your family can bring Christmas to you. Mine certainly is, and I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to miss English too! My Spanish language skills are very basic, but I'm looking forward to being challenged.
    There used to be a software that you could download that would give you an American IP address so you could watch Netflix anywhere, but I'm not sure if it still works. And now there are also sites that upload shows so you just stream it. That's how I kept up with my shows while abroad last year.
    Anyways, thanks so much for linking my site, I've added you onto mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete